Friday, July 4, 2014

Sweeten the Mix


Wednesday, July 2, 2014 22:30KST/19:30UTC/15:30EDT

Today was a very good day.  We were able to accomplish a great deal of landscaping and gardening work that was desperately needed.  I was able to do some rudimentary repairs to some damaged wiring - most notably a 220VAC extension cord that had two nicked places that had been "fixed" with duct tape.  It is now a 49.25 meter extension cord, but no one will get zapped accidentally and the cord won't short out either.

They have a dual wireless mic system from a company I've never heard about before, a Yamaha  MG166CX16 channel audio mixer a Peavey 2-channel amplifier, yada, yada, yada. I hooked it all up and checked it out. Everything worked fine after I discovered a faulty operator (me) who didn't have the volume on the wireless mic output turned up.  I found the usual problems I find on a mixer operated by someone who is unfamiliar with what all the knobs do... Some knobs were turned all the way to the left, others were turned all the way to the right.  Here is my guiding principle: all ways start out in the middle-especially if you are unsure of the effect a knob may have on the audio signal.

This applies to life as well. When you are trying to improve you own personal mix or you are introduced to a new concept, opinion, idea, or even a new acquaintance, always try to start out in the middle, or neutral position, then as you listen and learn, you can make small adjustments as necessary to fold them into your over-all life/philosophy/belief system.  Some things you'll want to add a lot more of, other you'll edit out completely.  The goal of every good sound system operator, whether live or recording, is to "sweeten the mix" by the addition, and subtraction, of various elements that shape the audio signal so that when it becomes sound, it is pleasing and desirable.

Here in Africa, I am doing this a great deal as there is much that is new to me.  From foods to accommodations, to transportation, I am really getting introduced to a lot of new and different things.  For example, here in Kenya, like in Europe, they drive on the "wrong" side of the road, and there are NO traffic control devices.  Add a liberal helping of roads that would need to improve a great deal before you could call them bad, and motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians that are fine being less than a foot from your vehicle, and now you know the good points of driving in Nairobi.  I am glad we have wonderful drivers to transport us.  My coping mechanism is to close my eyes and pray. So far, it has worked.  My "room" is literally a canvas tent.  It is not a Boy Scout pup tent by any means however.  It is as large as some motel room I've stayed in, has a working commode, a shower with warm water, and two nice beds with the ancillary furniture you'd expect to find. The foods, though mostly familiar are all delicious which is putting a severe kink in my plan to lose weight while I'm gone.  Two wonderful chefs, William and Naomi, prepare three meals a day as well as tea-time each afternoon (a mandatory event).

Please remember to pray for our team today, and excuse me for a day or two as I will be taking an overnight field trip to Masa Mara Game Preserve.  I'll be back Friday afternoon.

No comments: